1. Do I have to know Chinese to participate in the program?
Participants should have taken at least one Chinese course before May 2020.
2. When will I know if I am accepted?
Within a week of receiving your application, we will contact you by email to let you know. You can also inquire by email.
3. Will participants meet before the trip?
Participants are from all over Canada. So it would be hard to organize a meeting before the trip. You will receive trip information by email. There will be an orientation on the first day of the the program in Shanghai.
4. Can I travel ahead of time?
Yes, you can travel ahead of time and meet up with the group on May 16th at the Shanghai Pudong Airport or at the hotel.
5. Meals are not included in the program fee. How much do meals cost?
Breakfasts are included. Lunch costs about CND2.00 on campus and dinner about CND5.00; a total of about CND7-10 a day.
6. How do I know which class to take?
Participants will be divided into different classes according to their level of competency. There will be a placement test on the first day of classes.
7. How long are the classes?
There are three classes each morning. Every class is about 80 minutes long with a 10-15 minute break between classes.
8. Can I get credits from my university for this study program?
Students of past programs were successful in transferring credits they obtained from this program to their Canadian universities and colleges. You will be provided a transcript and a course description with which you can apply for transfer credits from your university/college. Some universities/colleges require prior approval for transfer credits. Check with your university/college about the credit transfer application procedures and requirements.
9. What is the weather like in Shanghai in May and June?
Cool to warm in May and becoming humid and hot in June. Most places are air-conditioned.
10. What clothes should I bring?
Summer clothes, sun and rain gear. Do also bring long pants, long sleeve tops/shirts and a light jacket for evenings and outdoor trips. It would also be good to have an outer layer in rooms with strong air-conditioning.
11. What is the exchange rate from Rmb to foreign currency?
The Chinese currency is RMB (Renminbi).
Current exchange rate is appr. CND$1.00 to RMB$5. For the most updated exchange rate, visit http://www.xe.net/ucc
12. What money should I bring to China?
You can bring cash to be exchanged at Shanghai banks. You can also withdraw money from banking machines in China with your Canadian bank card. Check with your bank to see if you can use your bank card to withdraw money from China and applicable fees.
13. What's the voltage/power supply?